It is HIGHly recommended that you play the video while reading this piece.
((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº)) ((ºJº))
The Day I met The Walrus, By David Blampied
This is probably one of my most favorite stories of all time, it’s a story I tell a lot to friends and sometime strangers I have just met for the first time. The best part is that this story is absolutely true! And the day I met the walrus changed my life.
The fact of the matter is I have always loved music. Drawn to it like a zombie under a spell. When I hear something I like, really like, I listen to it over and over again. If I really like it a lot I learn how to play it, on the piano, guitar or drums, whatever. I may never perform the song for anyone but myself but I’ll learn it.
As a child, I was exposed to a lot of music and sounds. Like a file uploading on the Internet, every nuance of songs filed away somewhere deep in my cerebellum. Most of the music I listened to as a child was probably a little unusual for a kid 9 years old. Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert, Chicago and Maurice Ravel’s “Belero” just to name a few artist who's music would help charge my interest in music.
But it wasn't until I was riffleing through my sister’s record collection, yes back then we had records. That I found the record that would change my perspective of what music is or COULD be forever. That album was the Beatles 1967 "Magical Mystery Tour" I guess the cover of the album would be appealing to most 9 year old, four guys dressed up like some kind of weird animals on the cover, stars all over the place and bright yellow.
I opened the sleeve of the record and put in on the player, making sure it was set for 33 1/3. Reading the song list on the outside jacket, I read the title of track 6, I Am the Walrus. What a strange and peculiar title. Lifting the arm of the record player slowly I found track 6 on side one, looking for the smooth groove between the songs, the last track.
As soon as the chords in the intro began to play, the strings played in the back, the hair stood up on my arms, I could feel chills run over my body as the weird vocals and driving progression and stoned melody weaved together to create something I never heard before. I sat in my chair watching the record spin on the player, a single beam of light came in the window and pointed right on me as if this was some sort of Divine moment from god. I could see small specks of dust floating in the air from the sunlight as if they were a tiny universe in front of me. As the large 1970’s floor speakers filled the room with the most psychedelic sounds ever made filled the air and my ears.
By the time the vocals reached, I am the egg man, I am the egg man, I am the walrus. I was completely immersed in the song. Coo coo kachoo ka coo coo kachoo.
I had no idea what had hit me, it was like someone had grabbed my brain and threw it across the room. But it did change me and my perspective of what music was, and what it could be. Music doesn't have to be just something you listen to in the background while cleaning your house, or working. Music can take you somewhere. Some place you’ve never been before; and it can change you forever.
I don’t think there is any argument here that in 200 years time music lovers will still be listening to this song, and other John Lennon’s song। Dissecting them, studying the songs, and like the Mona Lisa hanging in a gallery treasured, appreciated, and admired the world over। At least that would be my hope optimistically that humanity in 200 years from now will have the capability of admiring Lennon’s work। This will only happen if we also listen and learn from John’s life’s message: Give Peace a Chance.
Update:
Today is what would have been John’s 70th birthday. I know my day today will be filled with John’s music; this my own personal way of celebrating the life of a man who affected my life personally, although I never actually met him. I’m sure I’m not alone millions of people across the world are acknowledging John’s 70th.
However rather than just remembering John, and his music, this is an opportunity to remember his message he gave to the world. Peace. Piss for peace, go to school for peace, don’t go to school for peace. Whatever you do; do it for peace. Rather than just not saying anything John stood up and spoke. He told us that we could make a difference in the world, and proving through his actions that in fact one person could make a difference.
4 comments:
Very cool man!
Fantastic, what a great story!
I had the same reaction to the song the first time too! thanks for sharing!!
Fantastic! Keep writing David!!!!
Post a Comment